Application and Admission Process for Teacher Education Program
To download a program application, please click on the link below. Our Teacher Education Program Director will contact you upon receipt of your application and registration fee. A detailed description of our application process is written below.
Teacher Education Program Application
Potential students often call to receive information about the program. A brochure which includes instructional dates is sent to interested parties.
The application process begins when the Program receives the non-refundable $200.00 registration fee. Additional needed documentation, listed below, should be forwarded to the Center as it becomes available.
- two official college transcripts or two notarized copies of the high school diploma
- three letters of recommendation from persons acquainted with applicant’s professional and/or academic abilities, ethical standards and suitability for work with children
- a personal statement outlining the applicant’s reasons for enrolling, his/her expectations of the program, flexibility and willingness to work in a collaborative setting
An interview prior to acceptance is required (and can take place on the telephone).
The purpose for this process is to provide the applicant with the opportunity to listen to a general overview of the program, ask questions, clarify initial concerns and determine if enrollment in the TEP is really what the applicant wants. Furthermore, the director or staff representative makes a preliminary determination of the applicant’s suitability for enrollment. Potential students are provided with:
- application blank which includes information on required documentation and a personal statement by applicant
- general description of the course curriculum, requirements, time commitment necessary for success
- instructional dates
- reading list
- general information on Montessori and the Columbus Montessori Education Center and housing in Columbus
- information about the American Montessori Society and the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE)
- Medical form
- brief explanation of the practicum phase and practicum site requirements
- information and observation forms for applicant with no previous Montessori experience: applicant is to observe in one to three different Montessori early childhood environments prior to the beginning of the course and complete observation questionnaire
- financial information
Applicants may be verbally accepted into the program following the pre-admission Interview.
- receives a written acceptance letter from the Program Director when all documentation has been received by the TEP and the Director deems applicant qualified..
- receives two copies of a tuition contract outlining responsibilities and payment plans. Student signs and returns one copy to the Center.
- begins financial obligations by:
* submitting a deposit fee of $500.00 prior to course beginning (non- refundable after 1st day of class)
* making tuition payments according to selected payment plan
- Montessori readings from list provided by the Program. It is required that the applicants read Maria Montessori, a Biography by Rita Kramer, or Maria Montessori, Her Life and Work by E.M. Standing, prior to the first day of class.
- Selects practicum site and submits to director for approval.
Admission documentation is maintained in individual student files at the Columbus Montessori Education Center.